Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Banana Breath

My beautiful son Nicholas is a freak about bananas. His first word was"na-na" (he still won't say "mama" not because he can't but he knows it irritates me). I almost named this blog Banana Breath, but the fact that the title was already taken leads me to believe that my son is not the only toddler who belongs in B.A. (bananas anonymous).

However, no matter how fast he consumes them there are still overripe mushy bananas on my counter every week. So my new mission has been finding recipes for these bananas that go beyond the tried and true banana bread. Last week I played around with different ideas and here is what I came up with-Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies! They are delicious. They reminded my husband Josh and I of muffin tops...that of course spurred a litany of funny titles for the recipe and a bunch of Seinfeld jokes...I used the tollhouse cookie recipe as a guide and adjusted things accordingly:

Nicholas' Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Top Cookies (still working on the name...)

2 sticks butter, room temp.
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 egg, room temp.
2-3 large bananas, ripe and mashed
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 C. flour, sifted
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cake spice or cinnamon or a combo of nutmeg/cinnamon (whatever your taste)
2 C. chocolate chips (a whole bag)

*you could also add a cup of walnuts or pecans. I think the fluffyness of the cookie would have been good with a little nut crunch but i didn't want to add nuts for Nick...I thought coconut would have also been a nice twist as well.


1) Preheat oven to 350F. Cream the butter and the sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until fluffy.
2) In one small bowl mash the bananas and add baking soda.
3) In a larger bowl sift together the remaining dry ingredients (flour, salt, and spice)
4) Combine the mashed bananas with the butter mixture, mix, and then add the dry ingredients. Make sure everything is well incorporated but do not over mix. Then fold in your chocolate chips (nuts, etc.). (The batter will be looser than other cookie dough)
5)Drop 8-12 hefty dollops of batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown. Place on wire rack to cool. *Makes about 30 palm sized cookies.

*Just a note: These are large cookies so I would usually split one with Nick. I watch his sugar intake but I still think that a little sugar is good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment