Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Crock Pot cont.


I am pleased to report that my Crock Pot concoction that I called "Chicken and Biscuits" actually turned out to be Chicken and Biscuits! I don't know how I did it. Maybe it was the magical crock pot. Maybe it was the can of condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup that makes everything tastes like home. Whatever it was it was good and I had more than half leftover to freeze. Here is what I did:

Carrie's Made Up Crock Pot Chicken and Biscuits

2-3 Frozen Chicken breasts
1 can condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup
1 can of water (but I probably didn't need it)
2 cans chicken broth
Pepper
Salt
Oregano
Garlic Powder (all of these were just eyeballed until it seemed right)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
egg noodles
biscuits
I should have mashed potatoes too but that just seemed like carb overload...but I'll do it next time.

I preheated the crock poton high and added the first 8 ingredients and let it go for a few hours. I was worried to cook on low because of the frozen chicken, but those were cooked through in about an hour, so the low setting would work too. I put it all together at 10 am to serve dinner at 6pm, but it could probably have all been ready in less than three hours on high. About an hour before my husband got home I started the noodles, took out the chicken and shredded it with a fork, and added the cornstarch to the broth in the crock pot. I may have used a little more than two tablespoons to thicken all the sauce but I'm sure I didn't use more than three. After the sauce had thickened a bit I returned the chicken to the pot and added some mixed veges. I baked the biscuits, drained the egg noodles and put those in the gravy and then served. It was great and there was probably enough to feed 6.
As you can see, Nick, my 17 month old, loved it and found many uses for it as well. Is it a hat? Is it a conditioning hair mask? Is it a sign in baby culture that he is enjoying his meal?

So I did it and it...I faced my Crock Pot fears and it turns out that it's not that hard...and I'm not that bad of a cook! I'm glad I finally figured out a use for that lonely can of soup that had been in the back of cupboard for two years. Now what do I do with those chick peas?

No comments:

Post a Comment